Intro

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Developing a Cover Image



Not going to lie I am feeling a little overwhelmed right now, there is just so much to be done! I thought I was making a lot of progress but then I realized I am missing so much and have not even touched on a main requirement for this project, the TOC (table of contents)! I have so much more to go and so little time so I have decided to make deadlines for myself. Week three is almost over then there is basically two weeks left to work on this. I can’t imagine that in less than twenty days my magazine will be done! Okay, so for this posting, next posting, and (if I need it) a little bit next week, I want to have the layout of my cover page done. I am going to try to photograph it next week but I have to coordinate with Emily and Camila to see when they are available. In the meantime I am going to look into the colors I want to use, the medium I will use to design my magazine, the layout (where things will go on the front page), and the Font for Inside Out and other Cover lines.Then Next week I will be working on the TOC, researching different variations from different magazines and choosing which way I am going to go. The last week will be dedicated to my two page layout and any other touch ups. So lets get started!

First off, I decided to take a look Pinterest (guilty pleasure) to check out the variety of Fitness magazine covers




One thing I immediately recognize about what these magazines have in common is that they all have a woman as the main cover image posing in front of the masthead. Normally magazines that look like this talk about ways to look like them, so I was surprised to see that the Cosmopolitan magazine talked about the cover girl loving who she is. That is the message I am going for and can use that magazine as inspiration. I love the mixture of fonts that the STRONG magazine has and plan to incorporate that into my cover as well. Naturally, the next thing I searched on Pinterest was font combinations. 



I loved the look of the cursive mixed with more block letters and think it will look great with a cover line and then a short message underneath it. I decided to put my thoughts to paper and draw out a possible cover image layout.


This is a sketch of what I envisioned my cover image to look like. I have the masthead at the top along with a variety of cover lines. Obviously it is going to look much better once when it is computer generated, but in the sketch I incorporated different font combinations using cover lines that I like and plan to use. For now, what I am doing my cover story on is at the top( I altered it a little bit from what it says in the sketch): New Insights (then under it) 5 Ways to Love What You See in the Mirror. In case you can not see, other cover lines include, 10 Simple and Healthy Recipes (underneath it it says) using ingredients you probably already own, Amazing At Home Workouts, Myth Busters (underneath it is now going to say) Carbs are Not the Enemy, and more.

That is all for today!

-C




Works Cited: 
 14 Fresh Fonts for Spring - Simple as That." Simple as That. N.p., 12 Mar. 2014. Web. 24 Mar. 2016. 

Wasilak, Sarah. "If Kerry Washington Raided Olivia Pope's Closet, This Is What She'd Take." RSS. N.p., 26 Mar. 2015. Web. 24 Mar. 2016.  

Strong Fitness Magazine. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Mar. 2016. 

"Britney Spears News." Exhale. N.p., 21 Mar. 2013. Web. 24 Mar. 2016.  

No comments:

Post a Comment