Intro

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Just Plannin'


Hola!!

For my next two posts, I will be researching elements of the final tasks for the project which includes a movie poster and a website.


Conventions of a movie poster
  • Eye catching. All the color choices and even the font works to captivate the audience and grab their attention
  • A focal picture that immediately draws the eye and allows you to differentiate the genre
  • A title clearly visible, big text
  • A release date, production company, director, lead actors, etc.

Some movie posters I really liked (Sorry for the ugly format, blogger is being a little stubborn)

,
A Lot of film posters show more than one thing. Like the "Charlie St. Cloud" one, there are two different pictures in one. Most people should be able to tell what the film is about based on the poster. In "Room", you know it is about a Mother and Son and the background is very eye catching. The vibrant colors in both of them immediately drew my eye toward them. I also like the dynamic of the "If I Stay" poster with the collage of different images. The "Short Term 12" poster has action going on in the background which makes the image more captivating. I know the colors are not as vibrant, but the placement of the title and the background is appreciate I want my poster to highlight an important part in the movie.

So I was thinking...pause... *IMPORTANT IDEA ALERT* that I know having my main character have a sibling will make things more complicated, but I might be able to make it work. I thought if the whole movie was just about the girl and no other main character, it would be not as interesting. I wanted to give her a purpose. So here are highlights of the trailer and the basis of the movie.

  • Mother and friends doing drugs
  • Police sirens, police come in
  • Two siblings drive away in police car while the Mother is sitting on the curb talking to other officer
  • Rapid shots of four pairs of feet. Two are adults, the other two resembles the two siblings and a duffel bag dropping next to it. Then the feet from the siblings get bigger and bigger to show they are getting older
  • Main character narrating the story saying she never got adopted, her sister did, but she aged out of the system
  • Time passes now main character is homeless
  • Robs stores to support herself
  • Gets arrested
  • Still no contact with sister until she is in juvie and hears “You have a visitor” and it is her sister.


Now this is the ideal case. How on earth can I make this happen? For the homeless parts, I may have to venture out of Weston *gasp* and maybe film in Ft. Lauderdale area where it is less...clean and put together. Or Markham Park has an area that is under the highway so that might work too. Now for the hardest part, the jail scenes. My Dad's work may give me something to work with here, so I will be able to ask him if there is a room I can use to film in for jail scenes. It does not have to be a jail, but something that looks like it. Kids come there for “Bring Your Child to Work Day”, so this might be allowed.

The reason I went slightly off topic (a very necessary off topic) was because I was thinking maybe the movie poster can be a picture of the sibling visiting the sister in jail and that first eye contact. I don’t know if there is an editing software, but maybe it could be divided like it is in "Charlie st. Cloud" and be a silhouette of the siblings holding hands when they were younger. I think viewers will be able to guess what the film is about if they see this which is the goal.  I will talk to my Dad tonight and get back to you guys.

Also here is a schedule I have set for myself so I do not wait until the last minute to do things like I may or may not have last year.

3/6-3/12
Finish all research for character background fact check, trailers, movie poster, and website

3/13-3/12
Finish storyboard for both trailers
Casting
Website outline

3/20-26
Filming!!
Work on website
Choose movie poster image

3/27-4/2
Editing, finish website and poster

4/3-4/8 
Creative Critical reflection script and creation

4/7 
Turn in project!



Until next time,
-C

Charlie Southam Follow. "Conventions of a film poster." LinkedIn SlideShare. N.p., 19 Mar. 2012. Web. 9 Mar. 2017.
"Charlie St. Cloud." Movie Poster Shop.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 Mar. 2017.
"ROOM 11.5x16 PROMO MOVIE POSTER Brie Larson Jacob Tremblay." EBay. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 Mar. 2017.
Short Term 12 Picture 2." AceShowbiz. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 Mar. 2017.
"If I Stay Blu Ray Dvd Cover Amp Label 2014 Pictures to pin on Pinterest." If I Stay Blu Ray Dvd Cover Amp Label 2014 Pictures to pin on Pinterest. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment